Maintain their appearance and strength with these simple care tips:
• Regularly vacuum or sweep with an attachment or broom with soft bristles. This lets you avoid ruining your floor with what is supposed to clean your floor, and gets rid of particles, dust, and buildup that can scratch the floor. Vacuums are better because they won’t shuffle the dust around.
• “Dust mops” like Swiffer won’t do enough to give it the deep clean it’ll periodically need; use a commercial wood cleaner, or mix a little vinegar and warm water together and go over the floor with a damp mop. Too much vinegar can damage the floor.
• Don’t go too heavy and leave standing water on the floor, as that can damage it. This means that, whatever the substance, clean spills immediately.
• You should especially be attentive with your cleaning to high-traffic areas because the grime and scratchy dust can especially build up here. Use mats on the inside and outside of doorways, and put rugs in commonly-used rooms.
• Stay off the hardwood with shoes, especially those with heels, spikes, and hard soles. Trim the nails of your pets.